Category Archives: Sculpture

Feb 2, 2018: Spanish Moss

This spanish moss is intricately woven as the base of this nest. The pine needles and leaves sit on top. I am designing these sculptures so the front can be seen as easily as the back.Look at the back of this nest!

 



January 28, 2018: Nest With Moss

This lovely nest will be carefully placed in one of my hand-built houses. I will weave in thin branches to balance and secure it within. This nest has pine needles, leaves, thorny vines to hold it together, and spanish moss on the back.


January 25, 2018: Workbench

This is my workbench below my studio where I do all of my building. It is nice to have an extra space to make a mess with the saws and drills.  My grandfather was a carpenter and taught my Dad his woodworking skills. My Dad taught me all that I know and has set me up with all the right tools.


January 21, 2018: Three Sculptures In Process

Process shot of three sculptures I am currently working on.  Lots of plans brewing for this “Dwellings” series I will be diving into this year.

I started these dwellings a year ago, but it took me awhile to figure out how to work with this teak wood repurposed from an old boat.  There is a lot of uneven edges not to mention it is a very hard wood.  I have it figured out now, so the fun part can begin!


January 16, 2018: Loop

“Loop” 7″x11″x3″ wood (repurposed teak from a boat), branches, grass leaves, nest, map, plexiglass.

I completed this piece after months of troubleshooting glass vs. plexiglass. I ended up with plexiglass because I can remove it easily (screws) if needed and has an added UVA protection. This particular piece is staying in my private collection. My husband collected this nest while in Germany.


January 14, 2018: Repairs For Broken Art

I mistakenly left this piece in my hot car which melted some of the adhesives on these stones. I had to break the glass and tear it off to get to the stones. In the process, I damaged the surface of the wood box. My solution is to cover the damage with soil and matte medium, then screw plexiglass over it to protect the assemblage within. I haven’t wanted to use a plastic but this is proving more durable in the long run.